Kansas Mutual Insurance, an AM Best A- rated company around since 1895, is looking for a hard working underwriting supervisor to oversee the day-to-day operations of our underwriting department and to work closely with our valued Independent Agent contacts across the state of Kansas. Kansas Mutual Insurance Company annually writes just under 10 million written premiums through four lines of business, Homeowners, Farmowners, Dwelling Fire and Mobile Home Owners. This position will supervise all four lines and two underwriters. We pride ourselves on our hands-on relationships with our insured’s and independent agents and on sound and conservative underwriting practices that insures the company has a strong book of business. As a small sized mutual company we all wear many hats to work each day and the Underwriting Supervisor would be no different. Kansas Mutual Insurance offers an excellent benefits package
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
· Supervise day-to-day underwriting operations and staff including the timely and accurate processing of applications, denials, cancelations, endorsements and renewals (data entry and processing may be required)
· Help with the hiring and training of underwriting staff
· Work with Agencies answering questions and obtaining information
· Visit Agencies in a marketing capacity
· Make one’s self available for calls from agents and insured’s regarding eligibly, coverage and rates
· Assist Executive Manager in overseeing inspection program
· Perform property inspections as time and training allows
· Work in partnership with the billing and claims departments to insure sound underwriting decisions.
· Assist with Insurance Department compliance, requests and audits
· Evaluate underwriting staff
· Work with business partners and vendors
· Perform minor building maintenance tasks from time-to-time
· Research, evaluate and implement new products and services
· Quarterly make a brief report to Board of Directors on activities of Underwriting Department
Underwriting Supervisor Qualifications and Skills
· College Degree in related fields
· At least 3 years of insurance experience in personal lines preferred
· Superior Organizational and time management skills
· A farming background is a plus
· Background in claims, property inspections and/or construction a plus
· Superior communication skills
· Experience managing personnel is a plus
· Occasional Saturday availability a plus
· Ability to work well with the various personalities
· Ability and willingness to occasionally travel the State of Kansas
YOUR FUTURE as an Independent Insurance Agent Starts Here
If you’re looking for a career that offers flexibility, job stability, competitive compensation, and more, then you’ve come to the right place! Working with an independent agency is a great career choice.
Independent insurance agents protect our customers by providing home, auto, business, life and health insurance policies to fit their individual needs. Independent agencies are not bound to offering products from only one insurance company. Instead, we can offer customers a choice of policies from a variety of insurance companies to provide the best protection at a competitive price.
The demand for insurance professionals is growing every day! Is this career right for you?